Your Simple Guide To Self-Build Procurement Routes
There are two main self-build procurement routes; negotiated contract and tendering. In this post we explain what each route involves, and the pros and cons of both.
1. The First Self-Build Procurement Route – Negotiated contract
The first self-build procurement route is a negotiated contract. This involves a builder at the earliest opportunity and enables them to contribute expertise to the construction methodology as the detailed construction package is developed. He can also provide current market costings during the process.
Once planning permission is granted and the construction package is underway, a preferred contractor is chosen.
As stages of the construction package are completed they can be reviewed with the builder so he can fully familiarise himself with the project and discuss preferred construction methods with the design team.
When the builder provides costs for the work we evaluate these against current market rates. It is in the interest of all parties that the costs are fair and not skewed by misunderstanding.
Once the construction package is complete a final fixed price can be agreed with the builder and a construction contract prepared.
- Engages a preferred builder earlier into the design and costing process
- Allows time for rigorous value engineering
- More likely to lead to a collaborative working relationship between all parties
- Less familiar to clients as a procurement process
- Requires expert impartial costs analysis & negotiation to ensure fair market rates; skills which most self-builders will not have
2. The Second Self-Build Procurement Route – Tendering
Tendering requires the preparation of a comprehensive construction and tender pack, extending an invitation to tender to selected builders, circulating tender documents, evaluating tender submissions and making a recommendation for the most appropriate builder to use.
The tendering process can only start once the construction and tendering packs are complete.
Once tender packs are circulated tendering parties make enquires to clarify aspects they may not fully understand. They are normally given between 4 to 6 weeks to submit tenders.
Once tenders are received we evaluate them and provide the client with a advice as to which is the most suitable.
- More conventional approach and more widely understood
- Maintains a degree of competitiveness for tendering parties
- May hit the market when a suitable contractor can accommodate the work and be willing to do it at a keen price
- Tender documents need to be watertight to prevent misinterpretation of the requirements
- Requires analysis of tenders to ensure proper comparison
- Requires 2 months after issuing the tender pack to get tenders returned and evaluated
- Tender prices that look too good to be true often are
Pin this post and save for later!
Get More Valuable Information About Building Your Dream Home
Whether you want an oak frame home or a conventionally constructed house, a full turnkey solution or some architectural input, we’ll help you to reduce risk, to have confidence and to enjoy what, for many of you, will be the most important project you’ll ever undertake.
Complete Oak Home creates bespoke turnkey oak frame homes. We are with you throughout your project, to guide and advise you every step of the way. All our houses are one-offs designed to match the exact requirements of each client.
Complete Architect offers a full range of architectural services, with a unique client led approach to design. We specialise in bespoke architecture, designing one-off houses to meet our client's exact needs.
Complete Home creates bespoke turnkey houses for clients who don’t want an oak frame home. We work in the same way as Complete Oak Home, making sure we are with you throughout your project, guiding and advising you at every step.
HERE'S WHAT OUR CLIENTS SAY:
The Complete Oak Home offer something rather different, not oak frame manufacturers but oak frame experts who design & build oak frame homes.
HOMEBUILDING & RENOVATING MAGAZINE
The one thing that has enabled us to progress is I believe finding a company that is prepared to partner with us from the very beginning and take us through planning, design/costing, tendering and build through to completion (or to any stage along the way). The Complete Oak Home offers us a way of achieving our dream by undertaking those tasks for us.
M SMITH - KEARY
We have both had a good look at the designs and we absolutely love them. It hugely exceeds our expectations and for this we are truly thankful of your superbly impressive work! We are so excited to think that this could be ours - you are very talented indeed.